click photo for larger image6-7 cups flour
2 t salt
2¼ t yeast (1 package)
2 cups very warm water
- Mix together 6 c flour, salt, and yeast.
- Stir in water and mix until blended, adding up to 1 c more flour if needed to make dough workable.
- Knead 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Place in a greased bowl, covered with plastic. Allow to rise 2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Punch down dough and divide into 6 pieces.
- Shape into rolls and place on a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Let rise an additional 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F with a shallow pan of water on the lowest rack.
- Bake rolls 18-22 minutes or until crusts are golden.
- Remove to a cooling rack and allow to cool 15 minutes.
- Cut into tops of rolls at a slight inward angle to about ¾ down. Pull to remove top and center of roll.
- Scoop out additional bread if you wish, taking care not to break through the crust.
- Fill with soup or chili and serve immediately.
Serving Size 1 bowl (130 g)
Serving per Recipe 6
|Amount per Serving|
Calories 466 Calories from Fat 12
|Total Fat 1.5g|
Saturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g
Total Carbohydrates 97.5g
Dietary Fiber 4g