A decade and half a dozen recipe variations later, I have found an amazing cheesy macaroni dish that not only soothes my nostalgic comfort cravings, but tastes absolutely delicious.
Decadent Macaroni and Cheese
4 qt water
1¼ t salt, divided
5 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
½ lb dry macaroni
2 T flour
½ c unsweetened coconut milk
1 c unsweetened soymilk
6 oz goat's milk cheddar, cut into ½-inch cubes
4 scallions, sliced into rings (green parts only)
- Bring water and 1 t salt to a boil.
- Meanwhile, fry bacon in the bottom of a large sauce pan, stirring frequently, until browned. Drain grease, reserving 2 T.
- Cook macaroni in salted water for 6-8 min, or until it reaches desired tenderness. Drain well.
- Over medium heat, stir flour and remaining ¼ t salt into reserved bacon grease.
- Stirring constantly, pour in coconut milk and soymilk. Bring to a boil.
- Add cheese, scallions, and cooked macaroni. Stir together over low heat until cheese has melted and pasta is well coated.
Note: Although I usually I "translate" my recipes into standard, mainstream ingredients, I've left this one as I actually made it. I don't really know what it would taste like with cow's milk ingredients--if I could still eat them, I probably never would have thought to try creating this recipe.