This is a healthier version of chicken pot pie, using low-fat whole wheat biscuits instead of a traditional pastry crust.
click photo for larger imageCrust
½ c flour
½ c whole wheat flour
1 t baking powder
1/3 c ice water
- Stir together flours and baking powder.
- Cut in butter until fully combined.
- Add water, mix only until dough comes together.
- Cover and refrigerate 20 minutes to 1 hour.
2 c chicken broth
2 large chicken breasts (1 lb total), cubed
1 c corn
1 c peas
1 c diced carrots
½ c chopped broccoli florets
½ c diced red peppers
1 t thyme
½ t rosemary
salt & pepper to taste
½ c milk
- Bring chicken broth to a boil. Add chicken, vegetables, and herbs.
- Simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Pour in milk and sprinkle flour over the top of the pan.
- Stir well to ensure flour is evenly distributed throughout.
- Pour into a 10” pie pan with high sides, or a 2 qt casserole dish.
- Roll or pat crust into a 9” circle and place in baking dish atop chicken mixture.
- Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Serving Size ¼ of pie (354 g)
Serving per Recipe 4
|Amount per Serving|
Calories 247 Calories from Fat 46
|Total Fat 5g|
Saturated Fat 2.5g
Monounsaturated Fat 1.5g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Total Carbohydrates 18.5g
Dietary Fiber 3.5g