Meanwhile, here’s a good-for-you meal that’s still manageable, even when getting out of bed is a struggle. This recipe is based on what I have on hand in my kitchen. If your staples are a bit different, by all means, substitute whatever makes it easiest for you!
1 medium onion
3 garlic cloves (or 1 T minced)
2 t oil
½ lb frozen mixed veggies (about 1½ c)
½ c dry brown rice
½ t oregano
½ t sage
salt and pepper to taste
1 bay leaf
5 c water
2 bullion cubes
1 frozen chicken breast (about ½ lb)
- Chop onion and mince garlic.
- Sauté in oil until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add frozen veggies and rice. Cook until veggies have melted.
- Season and add water. Bring to a boil.
- Add bullion cubes and frozen chicken breast.
- Simmer for 1-1½ hours, stirring occasionally, and adding more water if necessary.
- Use spoon to break up chicken breast into bite-size pieces before serving.