1½ c dry red beans
6 c vegetable broth (optional)
1 large onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 T oil
8 cloves garlic, minced
2½ t salt
½ t thyme
½ t black pepper
¼ t cayenne pepper (or more if you like it hot)
1 bay leaf
2 c dry rice
- Soak beans overnight. Drain and simmer in broth or water for 1 hour. Set aside.
- Sauté onion, pepper, and celery in oil until soft.
- Add garlic, salt, thyme, and peppers, cooking one minute more.
- Add beans and cooking liquid along with bay leaf. Add water if needed to cover the contents of the pan.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 2-3 hours. Stir occasionally and add more water if mixture becomes too thick.
- Cook rice with 4 c water.
- Serve bean mixture atop rice.