I have a tendency to purchase in bulk, thinking it will be a better deal. Unfortunately, when the bulk of my purchase spoils, all I've ended up doing is making expensive garbage. Here are a few ideas I've picked up along the way to help my food last longer.
- Cheese: wrap loosely in waxed paper and cover with foil before placing it in the fridge
- Butter: freeze butter in its original box inside a plastic bag
- Greens: wrap gently in a paper towel inside a plastic bag or line a hard-sided container with paper towels
- Fresh Herbs: cut ¼" off then end of the stems and set them in a cup of cool water as you would fresh flowers
- Meat: divide larger packages of meat into your usual meal sizes and freeze in sandwich- or quart-sized zipper bags inside one- or two- gallon zipper bags
- Ice Cream & Popsicles: keep frozen treats toward the back of the freezer, away from the warm drafts of an open freezer door