Originally this was a recipe for hearty bean stew. As I played with it, though, I found that the chili was more appealing to me. This makes an easy homemade gift or something nice to have on hand in your own cupboard for cold winter days when you don't want to spend too much time thinking about what you'll make for dinner.
click photo for larger image½ c dry kidney beans
½ c dry black-eyed beans (also called "black-eyed peas")
½ c dry black beans
1 t cocoa powder
1 t vegetable bullion (or 1 cube, crushed)
1 t dried minced onion
½ t parsley
½ t chili powder
¼ t garlic powder
¼ t thyme
1-14½ oz can diced tomatoes
• Layer beans in a sealed 12 oz container.
• Mix dry seasonings in a sealed bag.
• Add beans to 3 cups boiling water. Cover & remove from heat. Let soak 6 hours or overnight.
• Drain beans & add another 3 cups water. Cover & bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat & simmer for 90 minutes.
• Stir in undrained tomatoes & seasoning mix. Simmer an additional 60 minutes or until chili has thickened.
Serving Size 370 g (approx. 1½ c prepared)
Serving per Recipe 6
|Amount per Serving|
Calories 219 Calories from Fat 9
|Total Fat 1g|
Saturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g
Total Carbohydrates 41.5g
Dietary Fiber 12g